Great Basin National Park – NV
Lehman Caves Visitor Center
Baker, NV 89311
Great Basin National Park is a beautiful combination of desert valleys, cacti, sagebrush, snow-capped mountain peaks, and forests of aspen and ancient bristlecone pine trees. It is a relic of fascinating geologic action – evidenced by its numerous cave systems and basin and range formations. The park boasts more than 660 species of plant and animal life, from mountain lions to jackrabbits. It is a prime destination for star-gazing, bird watching, horseback riding, fishing, camping, hiking, fossil-hunting, rockhounding, and exploring.
- Great Basin Visitors Center
- Open May-September, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Located north of Baker, NV on the west side of Hwy 487
- Bookstore – open in the visitors center year-round
- Lehman Caves – one of the most spectacular cave systems in the country, displaying grand rooms, stalactites, stalagmites, popcorn, flowstone, helictites, and over 300 rare shield formations
- Tours are given year-round (excluding Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day)
- Tickets can be purchased in person at the visitors center or in advance (755.234-7331 x 242)
- Lehman Caves Visitors Center –
- Open year-round, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Lehman Caves Café and Gift Shop – open in the visitors center from late May – the middle of October (summer season)
- Wheeler Peak – 8.6 miles, moderate to challenging – provides stunning views of the basin and beautiful ecology
- Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive – 12 miles of spectacular views of the mountains and valleys of Great Basin National Park
- Island Forest Trail – easy, ¼ mile hike at the end of the beautiful Wheeler Peak Scenic Drive, – wheelchair accessible
- Mountain View Nature Trail – .3 miles, easy walk through the pinyon pine and juniper tree forest – located next to the Lehman Caves Visitors Center
- Frequently scheduled events, including astronomy classes and festivals